Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Thank you. Yes, I figured I would not receive any spousal support

Customer Question
which is fine. However before...
Thank you. Yes, I figured I would not receive any spousal support which is fine. However before were married I bought a condo in 2006, and it went into foreclosure in 2009. When we bought the house 3 months after we were married on the loan papers my husband said he was not married so that he could get the loan on his own, and the foreclosure would not affect him for the house we are in now. I walked away from my condo and because since were married it was 50/50 right. Now that hes divorcing me its going to destroy me financially. My credit is ruined due to the foreclosure . So will that help me during the divorce?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Family Law
2/1/2010
Family Lawyer: Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer replied 7 years ago
Attorney & Mediator
Could you clarify on what would help you during the divorce? You mean having 50% of the house or asking for support?

Thanks

Just on 50% of the rights to the house.

First, his lying on the mortgage papers will not eliminate your rights to the house. So long as it was acquired during your marriage, it is community property, you have 50% rights on it. However since the loan is in his sole name, you are not responsible for it. So you can ask that he buy your share of the equity or ask the court to sell it to collect half of the equity on the property. Whether this will help you in the divorce would depend on whether the house has any equity, whether it can be sold for more than what you paid for it. You would have to check with local market conditions to see if you live in a "hot area", if there is equity then it would help you in the divorce.

Please click accept, it is greatly appreciated. To request me for future questions, please begin your question with “Attention lawNinvest” Thank you.

_______________________________________________

Please Note: My answer or reply is limited to your facts presented and additional information you post may not come in after my reply or answer has posted, if this has occurred please let me know and I will answer further. Due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so this may result in more interactions between us. There might also be a delay in my reply or answers, as I may be helping other customers, or called away from my office or have logged off. Please be assured your question(s) will be answered promptly.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research, this is the only way I get paid. If you need more help or clarification, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over. You can always request me through my profile here or beginning your question with “Attention lawNinvest” Thank you.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given. No part of this disclaimer can be copied or reproduced without the express consent of the owner [lawNinvest]. Thank you.

Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer