How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33167
Experience:  JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I moved out and filed for a divorce. We both work and my spouse

Customer Question

I moved out and filed for a divorce. We both work and my spouse makes moremoney than I. Am I obligated to pay her money every month?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Tina replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for contacting our JA team for guidance. We are happy to assist you. However, we need a bit more information to more fully answer your question.

For child support? Spousal support or something else? Are there any court orders in place yet?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No, we have no children together. I have been out since July of last year. Our divorce is scheduled for the 22nd of this month. I have been giving her $1000.00 per month. We are doing this without attorneys and were just going through the proposed settlement agreement and she does not want me to get anything, so I am wondering if I could at least get back the money I have been giving her?
Expert:  Tina replied 7 years ago.
Unfortunately, it sounds like you are going to need an attorney. From the facts you have provided, you would not be obligated to pay her anything. In addition, you would be entitled to an equitable share of assets acquired during the marriage. It is unlikely a court would order her to repay the money you have paid, but you would likely get a fair share of the marital assets.

You may even be entitled to spousal support based on all of the circumstances.

The state bar association can provide you with attorney referrals.

Please let me know if you need clarification.

Best regards XXXXX XXXXX

Tina G


Please press the green "accept" button so I may be credited and paid for my time when I have answered/clarified your question. Positive feedback and a bonus are always appreciated. Thank you very much.

NOTE: This open forum is for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. It is highly recommended that you seek representation by a local attorney for all legal matters. The state bar association can provide you with attorney referrals. Please remember that I cannot know what you know unless you tell me. There may be important factors that are relevant to your question that I am not aware of in your specific situation, but I will always do my best to be professional, courteous, and prompt.

Tina and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank You Tina!
Expert:  Tina replied 7 years ago.
You are very welcome. All the best!