How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 37855
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a judgement against me in CA with the child support

Resolved Question:

I have a judgement against me in CA with the child support people. Though my wife is not receiving state aid, the judgement through our divorce is @12,000.00 per month. I have not worked in almost 6 years, have been hospitalized and in rehab and now going on 18 months sober, but I do not work yet, I have a modest income, 3000.00 a month from a family friend to keep me alive. Now the child support people are threatening to take my license away, what is there to do legally to stay the order? Technically I have never been served in the case, but I would like a chance to get my life in order. Though I made a huge income before I cannot imagine that now.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 years ago.
Good morning,

I'm sorry to hear of your dilemma.

Please tell me that the judgment is $12,000; and not that the child support is $12,000 a month.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Honestly, I was very successful, and truly the amount is $12,000.00 a month. I always paid our taxes, my ex took everything of value, I hit the rocks...
Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 years ago.
Good morning,

While I strive to give you an accurate and applicable answer to your question, and if I can possibly suggest an avenue by which you might have a successful legal outcome I will, I don’t have the ability to provide you with favorable law if it doesn't exist. As you read my answer to your question, I ask you to please don't shoot the messenger.

I'm sorry but there is no way to prevent the state from suspending your driver's license, or professional license for that matter, so long as you are in arrears in child support to the extent that you must be.

If you still have minor children, and the support level is still at $12,000 a month, you need to immediately petition the court for a modification based on a change in circumstances.

However, short of catching up on the arrears, there is little hope that you can avoid the suspension of licenses in the state of CA. The state is really tough in this regard.

I wish you well.

Thank you very much for having allowed me to assist you. It would be greatly appreciated if you would click the green Accept icon so that I can receive credit for having assisted you.

Best regards,


LawTalk and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you