LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
15277592

My husband and I were married for only 2 months. 1 month before

My husband and I were married for only 2 months. 1 month before marriage, I bought a truck, in my name only, which he now drives and uses as his sole property. He has agreed to make the monthly payments and has done so (not consistently). He also racked up some credit card debt (2,500.00) before marriage as well, that he has agreed to pay and does. My questions are: 1 - should this stuff be incorporated in separation or must I have separate contracts for payment?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 7 years ago.
Good morning,

I'm sorry to hear of your dilemma.

The truck is you personal property, and is your sole legal responsibility. You should take it back unless he would like to buy it--for cash--or refinance it. Don't allow him to make payments; that is typically a huge mistake.

His credit card debts before marriage are 100% his obligation. You have no legal liability for those debts.

If you are drafting a separation agreement, by all means you should address the debts of each party and make it clear that they remain the separate debts of the party who originally incurred it.

I wish you well in 2010.

Thank you very much for having allowed me to assist you. It would be greatly appreciated if you would click the green Accept icon so that I can receive credit for having assisted you.

Best regards,

Doug