How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11842
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I went thru a bitter divorce eight years ago in Massachusetts.

Customer Question

I went thru a bitter divorce eight years ago in Massachusetts. The attorney I used for the divorce was a friend of my parents and he was a trial attorney and not a Family Practice attorney. My question at the end of the day is my attorney really botched up this divorce for example, I will be paying child support until my two children are 23 if not going to college. Do I have any recourse in getting this agreement changed so that I can stop paying child support when the kids reach 18? My children are currently 15 and 11 years old.

Also, my ex wife got re married 4 ½ years ago had a child with her husband but does not work. Is there any way that the courts would force her to work. Her child is in pre school. She does have a 4 year college degree in accounting and was working full time after she had children while married to me but chooses not to work.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Pro replied 7 years ago.

It depends - what specifically does the settlement agreement state about child support.


Generally, child support is always modifiable. But can contract otherwise. However, too, child support is the child's right - not the right of the parent.