How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask InformationForYou Your Own Question
InformationForYou, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1956
Experience:  18 years as a family law attorney, adjunct law professor
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
InformationForYou is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband and I lived together for over a year before we bought

Customer Question

My husband and I lived together for over a year before we bought our home, my income was used, however due to my defaulted student loan, we decided my name would not be on the deed.

We moved into our home in October 2002 together and got married May 2003. My husband is now trying to demand I move out of our house, since my name is XXXXX XXXXX the home deed and i have expresses being unhappy in the marriage.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  InformationForYou replied 7 years ago.

Unfortunately you could possibly be treated as a tenant as you are not on the deed (title) to the property. That means that he would have to give you formal written notice to vacate the premises, just as he would for any tenant who is on his property. If you have no lease with the tenant, it is likely a 30 day notice requirement (in writing) asking you to leave. If you refused, he could try to have you removed from the property or he could change the locks. I'm so sorry your husband is doing this or at least threatening to do this.


Good luck and please hit accept to give me credit for responding.

Related Family Law Questions