Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I live in the State of WA and A family I know registers each

Customer Question
year to home school their...
I live in the State of WA and A family I know registers each year to home school their 7 children, ranging in age from 5 to 18. The children are not being home schooled. The 18 year old left home and lives with us so she can go to public school. The other children are not allowed to go to public school for their mother thinks public school is evil and has disowned the 18 year old that lives with us. The children still at home are held like prisoners and not allowed to attend with other family functions. We are at our wit's end trying to get these other children to a school and their father says that the children will have time to get an education after they are old enough to leave home. The 16 year old has begged to let her go to school and is not allowed to go and has threaten to kill herself if it wasn't for her siblings.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Family Law
2/1/2010
Family Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 7 years ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

I am here to assist. However, I did not see a question.

What was your question?

Is there anything we can do to see that these children can get an education?

Customer/p>

Is there anything we can do legally to help these children? We will take it to court if you think we have grounds to stand on. That is our question. Please give ue an answer.

Customer/p>

Thank you for getting back to me. I was offline when you responded.

Response: Since you have already tried Washington State Home Schooling Organization and Washington State Social Services with apparently no results, you would need to file a complaint for temporary guardianship of the children and tell the Court the reason why you need to have legal guardianship of the children, just like you did in your narrative here: children are held like prisoners, not going to school, etc. The Court would make a decision based on what is in the best interests of the children. If the Court grants you temporary guardianship, then you would be able to enroll the children in school.

The forms for applying for temporary/limited guardianship are available at the Courthouse, in the Clerk's office. You can also download the forms online:

http://www.courts.wa.gov/forms/index.cfm

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law