How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7280
Experience:  I have over a decade of experience as a Family Law litigator
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My girlfreind had her 2 year old taken by dcf in florida for

Resolved Question:

My girlfreind had her 2 year old taken by dcf in florida for neglect due to her drinking and drugs. she is pregnant wiyh my child and is due in 4 mos and just failed a drug test for xanex. she has no job and stays with people and has no home. she is aplying for alpha house which is basically a shelter. I have a good job a house for 10 years and no record. what are the chances I can get the baby, and what should I do?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 7 years ago.

I'm a licensed family law attorney in Florida and I believe I can provide assistance. Before beginning, I need a few things clarified:

  • When was the removal?
  • Where is the 2 year old now?
  • Are you the father of that child?

Thank you!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

He was removed about 6 mos ago and he is with the fathers family. The father of the 2 year old is in jail. I am the father of the unborn


Expert:  Joseph replied 7 years ago.

The bad news is that it sounds like your girlfriend may have some serious problems on her hands. The good news is that it sounds like you have an excellent case of obtaining custody of the unborn child. However, this could be seriously harmed if you intend to remain with the girlfriend. I would be surprised if DCF didn't attempt a termination of parental rights (TPR) for the girlfriend. If you intend to remain with her, they would likely want to do a TPR against you as well.


I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on the green ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck!

Joseph and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions