Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Can I adopt an adult step-child If so how do I go about

Customer Question
Can I adopt an adult...
Can I adopt an adult step-child? If so how do I go about it?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Family Law
2/1/2010
Family Lawyer: AttorneyTom, Lawyer replied 7 years ago
AttorneyTom
AttorneyTom, Lawyer

Please Note: Your deposit will not be applied to this question unless you click accept. JustAnswer provides me with absolutely no compensation. I receive no salary or hourly wage from JustAnswer. I receive nothing at all for my time spent responding to your question unless you click accept. Your gratuity is appreciated.

Thank you for your question.

What follows may or may not be what you want to read. However, please do not shoot the messenger. While I can control the quality of an answer, my control over the content of an answer is restrained by the truth.

You can adopt an adult-step child provided you have the consent of the adult step-child and your spouse (if you're still married). Once you have the consent of both parties, you can file a petition for adoption with the court's in your county or the step-child's county. There will then be a hearing. If the court find's that the adoption is in the adoptee's best interests, the court will grant the adoption. You can read about this process at the following link.
http://library.adoption.com/articles/arizona-state-law-on-adult-adoption.html

Your attorney can file the petition for you. Further, it's important to discuss how this might affect you, your other children (if applicable), and the effect on the step-child's inheritance rights from his natural father.

Please remember to click accept so that I will receive credit for my time and effort spent responding to your question. Bonuses are always greatly appreciated.

If you need additional clarification of this response, please ask a follow-up question and I will be happy to clarify.

Sincerely,
T

_____________________________________

Please click the green Accept Button and leave Positive Feedback so that I receive credit for answering your question. Bonuses are always greatly appreciated. I do not receive any payment at all from JustAnswer unless you click accept.

Please remember: Feedback is left for me as an answerer. Please do not shoot the messenger. My control over the content of the answer is limited by the restraint of truth.

_____________________________________

Disclaimer: By engaging in this correspondence, you agree to and understand the following:
No attorney-client relationship is formed through this correspondence. The following information provided for educational purposes only and is not legal advice/legal services. Correspondence through JustAnswer is visible to the public. T-USA is not familiar with your situation and could not possibly provide legal advice/legal services through JustAnswer. T-USA does not claim to be licensed to practice law in the state for which this information is provided. The information provided in this correspondence cannot and should not be relied on for legal purposes.
If you need legal advice/services you should seek a local attorney as soon as possible. You can find a local attorney at http://www.lawyers.com or http://www.martindale.com.

AttorneyTom
AttorneyTom, Lawyer

I appreciate your prompt response to my question. The web-site you referred my to is also a big help. I will further research this possibility before I take any further action.

My personal situation is that the biological father of my step-daughter has been out of her life for at least 6-7 years, she has had no word from him and does not know if he is dead or alive. Does that situation present any significant problems if both my step-daughter and my wife agree to this adoption?

That shouldn't present a problem since your step-daughter is now an adult as long as both your spouse and the adoptee consent.

Sincerely,
T

_____________________________________

_____________________________________

I assumed the follow up question and answer was covered by the first fee charged. I think that answering three questions should be covered be the original fee.

Thx.

AttorneyTom
AttorneyTom
AttorneyTom, Lawyer