How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legalease Your Own Question
Legalease, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 16379
Experience:  13 years experience, divorce & custody issues, protective orders, child abuse issues
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Legalease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

CPS told me my case was closed months ago, and then my case

Customer Question

CPS told me my case was closed months ago, and then my case worker called me and said her supervisor didn't close the case due to me not being able to see a counselor voluntarily. I complied and met all of their demands and it was communicated to me at our last meeting that my case worker needed to confirm that I would be meeting with a counselor. We were unable to meet due to her being double booked and my school schedule . I planned on meeting with her after the semester ended. Since I was told in September the case was closed. But I received a call that I am going to have to receive "services" for counseling which I have been tying to avoid. since this could jeopardize my teaching and becoming a LPC. What is even more aggravating is the fact that this alleged abuse and neglect was reported out of anger by my mother. I would prefer going to court before a judge and possibly throw it out. Had my case worker alerted me about this I could of gone to a different therapist. Please help
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Legalease replied 7 years ago.

Hello. Listen to your attorney and stop communicating with CPS -- that's what you hired her for! If she is unable to work something out with them in order for you to see the private counselor then discuss with her actually going to a court hearing on it if you feel confidently that the judge will throw the matter out. You should, however, stay on your attorney to make sure that she is communicating with CPS (call her once a week until you get some kind of affirmative result from her). Sometimes lawyers will have so much going on, and you do not want these issues to fall by the way-side with the lawyer while you are waiting for an appropriate resolution.




Please press the GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON so I will be paid for my time.



Legalease and 5 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
What if I do not feel comfortable receiving services for family counseling? Is it possible to go before a Judge concerning the issue? Do I need to get an emergency custody order for my daughter? I am worried they might try taking her. This is so stressful I would of gone to a counselor had they communicated with me months ago. If I were a bad/abusive and neglectful mom I would understand.But I am defending myself against false accusations.
Expert:  Legalease replied 7 years ago.
I understand. Communicate to your attorney that you would prefer to simply go in front of a judge and see what she thinks about that. Your attorney, if she is worth her salt at all, will at least know the moods and philisophies of the court personnel and the judges that she/you will be dealing with. You also do not want to appear uncooperative -- because then they might try to take your daughter and you don't want that happening either. I hate to tell you this, but CPS departments in all states are as bad as the IRS -- they can get away with a lot and there is not much that you can do about it.