How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 34746
Experience:  16 yrs. of experience including family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

When I was divorced we agreed to no child support because my

Resolved Question:

When I was divorced we agreed to no child support because my name was on the truck note that he had and he would not be able to make both payments, plus at this time he could not aford it. It has been 2 1/2 years and now the truck is paid off and he can now afford to pay child support. Can I get a modification of child support since the original order was for no child support?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the chance to assist. Was the requirement to pay the note for the truck part of the divorce order as well?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No, I did a self divorce with no child support order. Can I automatically request a modification at 3 years without change
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 7 years ago.
No. To request a modification, you need a "substantial and material change" in circumstances to either of your finances...if you can show this change (a raise for him and/or pay cut for you), then the court will re-calculate support. But if not, the court will not entertain this request.

In TX, a 20% change is considered "substantial and material change" may possible to get a modification with less...but more difficult.

Please let me know if you have further questions; if so I will do my best to answer them. If not please hit the accept button, its the only way I get credit for my work.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (3) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises; (4) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I thought at three years you could automatically request a change plus my oldest is going to be 16 not 13 and it is more expensive to take care of them. Then only change is that I have had a 10% decrease in pay
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 7 years ago.
You can request...but typically the court will not approve unless there is a "substantial and material change" SO, a change in residence, age, medical condition, employment, criminal history or the relationship between the parents making the current orders unworkable can be found by the court to be a material and substantial change.

P. Simmons and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you