How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 118635
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If a woman gives birth with no health insurance and then creates

Resolved Question:

If a woman gives birth with no health insurance and then creates a $9,000.00 delivery bill and then gets a child support order, will the state take money out of her child support payment to satisfy her debt? and if so how much?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
If a mother takes welfare/medicaid assistance for the child and subsequently is awarded back child support for that time, then medicaid and welfare are entitled to reimbursement for what they paid out of the child support arrears paid for that time. They will prorate the amount they take based upon the amount of support given in the arrears award and they use a formula for calculating this amount.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
What I am asking is with the new baby to be born, when the baby is born, if she cant pay for the birth (the bill) will the state or hospital or whoever has to pay for it, will they get there money back out of her court ordered child support payment. There is a bill from a previous birth but that baby is not mine.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
They can make the party asked to pay child support liable for a share of the bill (usually 1/2 or whatever percentage of the total income between the two parents the paying party's income is) which would be in addition to child support, but they will not take money from child support to pay the old bill if that is what you are getting at.
Law Educator, Esq. and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you