How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, I have a court date today in BX family court. The judge

Resolved Question:

Hi, I have a court date today in BX family court. The judge gave me a few months to comply with the child support order and I did. She also asked for me to bring a lawyer to the next court date, I have not, I just didnt have time. I have been working hard. I do not have paystubs and the financial net worth papers filled out and havent filed taxes for a few yrs. My bank account they had seized last year. So, I dont have a personal account. If my ex-wife wants me to go to jail, will I have to go?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

In order to avoid going to jail if you will want to convince the judge that you have complied to the best of your ability to her order. This would entail at the very least completing the financial net worth paperwork that is required. You can then explained to the judge that you had to choose between making payments to child support or retaining an attorney and you chose to pay your child support to the best of your ability.
Ellen and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you