How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask legaleagle Your Own Question
legaleagle, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 13441
Experience:  Practicing attorney for 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
legaleagle is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

The woman carrying my brothers child is due in Feb of next

This answer was rated:

The woman carrying my brothers child is due in Feb of next year. They have been together since Nov of 2008 but I can't say that they have ever had a "relationship". I don't see her being vindictive with my brother but I think its important to know his rights just in case she turns on him and tries using the baby to get her way. There is no doubt in anyone's mind that it's my brothers but they aren't married. And I don't know if this makes a difference but we live in Utah.

Thanks for your time.
He has just as much right to his child as if he were married to the mother. It is important that he put his name on the birth certificate and sign it. Then he can file a petition with the court to give him visitation or joint custody if he thinks the mother will try to keep the child from him. Also child support will be established so he can pay monthly through the court so there is no dispute ever as to if and how much he paid to her in support.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
But he will have to file a petition?
He only has to file the petition if she tries to deny him access to the child. As long as they are sharing custody and working things out no one has to go to court for anything.
legaleagle and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you