How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask KimberlyLaw Your Own Question
KimberlyLaw, Lawyer and Real Estate Broker
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 4219
Experience:  13 years of experience practicing law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
KimberlyLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

While I have joint custody of my child with my ex wife, she

Resolved Question:

While I have joint custody of my child with my ex wife, she has primary custody of our 3 1/2 year old son. In the last 18 months his weight has ballooned and he is now 10lbs over weight. Our pediatrician advised a diet, but my ex refuses to follow it and is not at all concerned about his weight. We have a history of diabetes in both our families and I am extremely concerned. What can I legally do to get her to restrict his diet and stop this health problem?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  KimberlyLaw replied 7 years ago.
Hello, I am happy to answer your question.

The first step is to try to work with her. If she doesn't budge at all, you can also talk to your son directly. Maybe you can break through to him and help change his habits, regardless of what your x wife does.

If those things don't work, you can always go back to court and reopen the custody proceeding saying that there is a change of circumstances. You could use this as a reason to try to get full custody, or you can just ask the court to order her to adjust his eating patterns. I can honestly say that it might be a tough fight, because the court is typically worried about much more serious matters. But you never know.

I hope this helps,
KimberlyLaw and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you