How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask legaleagle Your Own Question
legaleagle, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 13441
Experience:  Practicing attorney for 10 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
legaleagle is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter-in-law left with the children on Friday took money

Customer Question

My daughter-in-law left with the children on Friday took money out of the account and went 500 miles away. My son called, left messages and emailed her and told her if she thought he was going to not fight for custody she was wrong. On Monday she filed a restraining iorder and made all these false allegations He now has a hearing 500 miles away to fight this. She is pregnant and off her medicine. This happened 5 years ago when she was pregnant. She is mentally ill and when she gets pregnant has episodes were she recalls for step father molesting her. I am the grandparent and my husband has watched these girls ages 3 & 5 since they were born 4-5 days a week. She is alienating them against the family and I am concerned for their safety.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  legaleagle replied 7 years ago.
Your son needs to get an attorney to fight the restraining order and get the jurisdiction transfered back to the county where they had been living with the father and get temp custody due to the failure of the mother to take her medication. As grandparents you can also file for grandparent visitation since you have a bond with the children.
legaleagle and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

She is a psychologist and works with children with issues/child protective cases. Knows how to work the ropes. Does my son have a chance? She is unstale and I am concerned for the safety of the children. If we get visitation rights will she have to have them come down here? Why would the courts change to down her? She quit her position, and I think she has set him up.


Do you know what the statistics are in fathers getting their children or partial custody? There is a new child due 2/14/09

Expert:  legaleagle replied 7 years ago.
Your son would need to prove to the court that it is in the best interest of the children to live with him rather than her and he would have to get evidence before the court to prove this. He does have a chance if he can prove there is a safety concern. If you get visitation you may have to go to get the children, it really depends on what the court orders as to who is resposible for transportation for the visits. He has a 50/50 chance.