How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 20012
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Attorney & Mediator is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a father with a daughter from a previous relationship.

Resolved Question:

I am a father with a daughter from a previous relationship. My ex-girlfriend and I do not live together and have never been married. She currently lives with my daughter in Fargo, North Dakota, and I live in Glendive, Montana. We do not have anything in writing in regards XXXXX XXXXX and cannot agree on a schedule. I do pay child support each month. Can I obtain a lawyer in Glendive, Montana, to help determine visitation with my daughter?
Submitted: 7 years ago via LegalMatch.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 7 years ago.
Custody cases would need to be addressed in the homestate of the child. Homestate is the state where the child has lived in for a period of at least six months. So if the child has lived in ND for six months or more, you will need a family law attorney of that state to represent you. A Montana lawyer cannot represent in a state he is not licensed to practice law.

Please click accept, it is greatly appreciated. To request me for future questions, please begin your question with “Attention lawNinvest” Thank you.


Please Note: My answer or reply is limited to your facts presented and additional information you post may not come in after my reply or answer has posted, if this has occurred please let me know and I will answer further. Due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so this may result in more interactions between us. There might also be a delay in my reply or answers, as I may be helping other customers, or called away from my office or have logged off. Please be assured your question(s) will be answered promptly.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research, this is the only way I get paid. If you need more help or clarification, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over. You can always request me through my profile here or beginning your question with “Attention lawNinvest” Thank you.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given. No part of this disclaimer can be copied or reproduced without the express consent of the owner [lawNinvest]. Thank you.

Attorney & Mediator and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you