How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lwpat Your Own Question
lwpat, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 25387
Experience:  Practicing family law attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
lwpat is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can I establish visitation without filing for a legal separation

Resolved Question:

Can I establish visitation without filing for a legal separation or divorce
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  lwpat replied 7 years ago.
The two of you can agree on anything but to be enforceable you will have to file for a separation or divorce.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
that makes sense but I need a little more clarification. So are you saying I can't just get a court order for visitation like you can for child support or a restraining order?
Expert:  lwpat replied 7 years ago.
You can get an order for visitation but it is in conjunction with a petition for separation or divorce. There is no separate order if you are married.
lwpat and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you