How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ANDREA, Your Own Question
ANDREA,, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 12554
Experience:  25 yrs Family Law, Real Estate & Business Law, Criminal Defense, Immigration, Employment Law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
ANDREA, is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am an A1 visa dependent can i get a divorce and remain in

Customer Question

I am an A1 visa dependent can i get a divorce and remain in the US while I change my immigration status
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  ANDREA, replied 7 years ago.

Good Evening,


Thank you for your question and for choosing JustAnswer




Unfortunately not. If you become a United States Citizen, the answer would be different. You would be able to remain by virtue of your United States Citizenship.


The Immigration and Nationality Act provides immediate visas without having to wait on the theory that the family unit should not be broken up; if there is a divorce, then there is no fmily unit which to be held together and the reason for the grantin of the A1 status no longer exists.



Kindly press the Green Button so that I may receive credit for helping you


That is the only way I get paid



Leaving Positive Feedback, Bonus, etc. is always appreciatd







Thank you for allowing me to assist you



Member, NY & PA Bar

ANDREA, and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
what if I adjust status to LPR