How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 38910
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I dated a girl in january 2006 who was seperated from her husband.

Resolved Question:

I dated a girl in january 2006 who was seperated from her husband. we stopped dating several months later and she got back with him. (they were never divorced) She got pregnant and a had a kid who in a brief contact years later, she said was from the husband. the girl never said it was mine or gave any indication. The husband never contested that he was the father and signed the birth certificate. the two divorced shortly afterward and it was determined that he was the father and he has been paying child support ever since. He, (a total stranger) called me tonight out of the blue and told me that he took it upon himself to get a test and saw that the baby was not his. he asked me to get a paternity test. I know that this kid is not mine. im just wondering if somehow after all these years i could be forced to take a test by a court or ordered to assume custody of this kid and or child support. i have never even met this kid. i live in WA
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 7 years ago.

Under RCW 26.26.530, "...a proceeding brought by a presumed father, the mother, or another individual to adjudicate the parentage of a child having a presumed father must be commenced not later than two years after the birth of the child. {emphasis added}


Hope this helps.


Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.


Customer: replied 7 years ago.
so as i understand this RCW....if the kid was born in jan 2006....these people cannot force me to become this kid's father (or investigate therein) an effort to make me responsible for child support. I was just concerned about this guy trying to force me into some kind of assumption of fatherhood after almost 4 years now
Expert:  socrateaser replied 7 years ago.
You have it right, my friend. Be prepared to hire a lawyer to defend your position, if the husband comes after you. But, based on your facts, you should quickly obtain a dismissal because the husband's claim is time barred..
socrateaser and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions