How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i got legal custody of a litter girl in ny years ago, and

This answer was rated:

i got legal custody of a litter girl in ny years ago, and now i want to file for adoption but i live in new jersey, can i still do it in nj or i need the girld biological parents consents?
You will need the consent of the parents, but you can file it in New Jersey if that is now the residency of the child.


Dimitry Alexander Kaplun, Esq.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
what about if i dont know where are the parent? how can i get a consent
Then how did you get legal custody if you do not know the identify of the parents?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

the mother is my friend or was she ask me to get the custody that it was going to be temporary but she desapear now i don know where she is and the father live in domincan republic never been in this country before

Oh, that makes it easier. You can file in NJ for a petition for formal adoption and argue that by disappearing for more then 12 months, you can use the courts to sever the parental rights and obligations of your friend that will leave you free to move forward with your adoption.


Dimitry Alexander Kaplun, Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq. and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you