How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AlexiaEsq. Your Own Question
AlexiaEsq., Managing Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 13568
Experience:  19+ Years of Legal Practice in Family law matters.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
AlexiaEsq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in pennsylvania and own a business with my husband we

This answer was rated:

I live in pennsylvania and own a business with my husband we are separated and I would like a divorce. am i entitle to 50% of the business. When we started it up he gave me 20%?
What do you mean he gave you 20%?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
When are S corp was formed he set it up so that I was given at the time 20 % of the shares. But, he was told that in pennsylvania the law is if we are married i am entitled to half. So I am confused as to what I am entitled to.
Pennsylvania is an equitable distribution state,not a community property state. Therefore, no, you are not necessarily entitled to half. However, you are also not necessarily restricted to 20% either. If the court has to decide because you two cannot agree, it will look at the surrounding circumstance and divvy up what it believes to be fair, equitable.
AlexiaEsq. and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you