Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My wife has filed for divorce in California and we have agreed

Customer Question
to sell our Utah home.My...
My wife has filed for divorce in California and we have agreed to sell our Utah home.My wife is concerned her attorney may attept to freeze the profit without her consent.There are no court orders limiting an agreed upon sale.
Can her attorney freeze sale profit without consent and if so for how long. We intend to replace both attorneys and proceed with mediation.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Family Law
11/1/2009
Family Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 8 years ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Could you clarify?

Why is she concerned that her attorney may freeze profit?

She signed a retainer and feels attorney would like a source to draw future fees.

Ok. Thank you for the clarification.

Now back to your original question:

Can her attorney freeze sale profit without consent and if so for how long.

Response: Yes, her attorney can freeze the sale profit without her consent. The freeze can last until the attorney gets fully compensated for his services. Your wife should carefully review the retainer agreement to see what other options that the attorney may have in making sure that he gets paid for services already rendered so that she would not have any nasty surprises.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law