How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7280
Experience:  I have over a decade of experience as a Family Law litigator
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do i get full custody of my son and terminate his bio fathers

Resolved Question:

How do i get full custody of my son and terminate his bio father's rights?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 7 years ago.

You would need to file a petition to terminate parental rights (TPR). A TPR is an extreme request and is typically only granted where there is significant abuse, abandonment or neglect on the part of the parent subject to the TPR.


Additionally, courts prefer to grant the TPR only where there is another adult ready to adopt, or step in, so that the child will always have 2 people legally obligated to care for the child.


If the TPR is granted, that would obviously give you "full custody" of your child.


I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on the green ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck!

Joseph and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you