How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 116707
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in the state of mississippi got married in may 1998

Customer Question

I live in the state of mississippi got married in may 1998 got a divorce in oct ex-husband had a house before we got married that his mom had given to him but there still was a mortgage on it,so i refinanced the house and the loan was only n my name .so when we went to court in oct.2007 he was awarded the house and had to pay me equity out of the house but was not ordered to get the loan out of my name my lawyer requested but judge said that if he did not want to he did not have to .he was ordered to hold me harmless of any debt to the house but it has been reported on my credit 30 days late more than 4 times and still has not paid me all the equity out of the house .i have taken him to court twice for not receiving the rest of the equity and judge overrule
Submitted: 7 years ago via LegalMatch.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
What did the judge overrule? Did the judge order him to continue paying the equity?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
what i meant by overrule he gave him 2 more chances to pay the money and he did not finish paying .yes he did order him
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
First, you can sue him for any damage caused to your credit report in his failure to keep up the payments as part of his agreement to hold you harmless for this loan.

Second, you need to return to court and not just seek to hold him in contempt for not paying the equity money, but seek an order of garnishment against him to have the money garnished from his wages or to seize bank accounts or property or place a lien on the house to obtain your money.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Use of this service does not create any attorney client relationship. Any information provided is not the practice of law but intended to direct you in finding an attorney in your locale.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Edited by PaulMJD on 11/1/2009 at 5:07 PM EST