How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 118208
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

what do i have to do legally if my spouse passes away

Resolved Question:

what do i have to do legally if my spouse passes away
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
You would have to open her estate for probate to ensure that all property is properly transferred to you and your heirs in accordance with any will or if there is no will in accordance with the laws of intestacy, meaning to you as surviving spouse and to any of her descendants. The first thing in opening probate is having an administrator named who would then make an inventory of all of the property and whether it is jointly held between the two of you or if it is separate property. Then, it is best using an attorney for the probate, since the attorney would be able to make notices to the creditors as required and make sure that all of the property with deeds/titles is properly transferred over to the heirs in case they ever want to or need to sell it there will be no delays. All bills of the estate must be paid before any heir can take from the estate and if not then the administrator could become personally liable for those bills. Also, a final tax return must be filed, even though there is likely to be no tax due unless the estate is worth over $3.5 million.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Use of this service does not create any attorney client relationship. Any information provided is not the practice of law but intended to direct you in finding an attorney in your locale.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq. and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you