How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Louisiana (Ascension parish) and my wife moved out

Resolved Question:

I live in Louisiana (Ascension parish) and my wife moved out and filed for legal separation. She wants me to sign a "wavier of service". I found one on line and it states " I do hereby formally and expressly acknowledge and accept service of a certified copy of said petiton and waive formal citation and service of process, all legal delays, notice of trial and appearance at trial and special notice required required by R.S. 13:3491 and 13:3492. My questions is if I sign this wavier does this means when the divorce papers are filed does she gets whatever she asks for and I can not fight the judgement?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 7 years ago.

The waiver is a waiver of formal service by a process server. It does not automatically waive your rights to respond. However, if you fail to timely file a response, a judgment for the relief your wife requested would be entered.
Ellen and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions