How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jack R. Your Own Question
Jack R.
Jack R., Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 6147
Experience:  OH/TX Mediator and Attorney dealing with Family, Child, and Divorce Law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Jack R. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If a guy gets laid off from a $11.25 an hour job, thats 40

Customer Question

If a guy gets laid off from a $11.25 an hour job, that's 40 miles away and night shift: and takes a $7.50 an hour job 7 milles from home and day shift; can they charge me the higher paying job in support? Also must I carry insurance on my son when his mother is eligible for him to have medical assistance from the state when I don't have insurance and can't afford it?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Jack R. replied 7 years ago.

A judge will assess the facts and determine if you should be trying to get a higher paying job. Typically a judge will use more than the current job situation in calculating a support amount. COurts have been very hesitant to lowere support payments based on a recent layoff. The fact that you were involuntarily laid off , and found a job will be a factor in your favor getting your CS lowered. The Court can decide to make the mother pay for insurance. This could raise you support payment.


If you found this answer informative please press ACCEPT so I may get credit for my response.

This communication is not intended as legal advice. A local attorney should always be consulted for legal advice. No client/attorney relationship is intended or created by this communication.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I do not want to accept the answer because the mother will not have to pay for insurance if she has my child on medical assistance.
Expert:  Jack R. replied 7 years ago.
You have the right to not accept, but it is not my fault the law does not provide a remedy you like. Your reason for your non payment is certainly not anything I had any controil over. I provided you with the law as requested.

Related Family Law Questions