How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lwpat Your Own Question
lwpat, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 25387
Experience:  Practicing family law attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
lwpat is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Michigan as does my boyfriend and his ex-girlfriend

Resolved Question:

I live in Michigan as does my boyfriend and his ex-girlfriend who is the mother of his 3 year old twin girls. She has threatened to take them away from him (his visitation is every other week tues-fri 3-6pm and sat-sun 1-6 pm), if he doesn't stop seeing me. We were planning our life together. Now she is saying he can't have the girls if he stays with me because I have post traumatic stress disorder for which I am seeing a psychiatrist once a month. I am only on 20mg prozac and .5mg xanax 4 times a day as needed. Can she enforce a no visitation rule because of my PTSD? Also, they do not have a permanent parenting agreement hammered out yet. Please answer asap. We are broken up right now and it's killing us both.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  lwpat replied 7 years ago.
Here he has a court order and she cannot withhold visitation because he is seeing you. However, you do not need to be staying overnight while the girls are there. Other times the two of you can do whatever. If she withholds visitation he can take her back to court and ask the judge to hold her in contempt of court.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I believe he has visitation worked out with a family enforcement agent. He has a lawyer that is helping him hammer out his parental rights. He is on the birth certificates yet they have never been married. She has been trying to break us up for months now. Her mother kicked her and her four girls out of the house including my boyfriend's twins and they lived in a hotel room temporarily. He still believes she lives there with the girls as that is where he picks them up for visitation. She has not told him she is living in the home where her drug dealer is. Her drug use is why they are no longer together and haven't been for well over a year. My Post Traumatic Stress Disorder is under control by a psychiatrist I see monthly. My boyfriend has gone to appointments with me. I am not in the house with him when he has visitation. I go home. He does not have overnight visitation with them. The twins swear, and play "nasty" with their dolls. If I have a letter written by my Psychiatrist for his file regarding my PTSD...would that help his case in the end?
Expert:  lwpat replied 7 years ago.
If you are not there during visitation then I don't see that your association with him is relevant to his visitation in any way. Here it would seem that he could get full custody if that is what he wants.

An accept for my time is always appreciated.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
can i have all of this information sent to my email? [email protected] then I will gladly click accept for you invaluable time.
Expert:  lwpat replied 7 years ago.
We cannot send emails. Sorry.
lwpat and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you