How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RobertJDFL Your Own Question
RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 13748
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RobertJDFL is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am divorced and have joint custody of my two sons who are

Resolved Question:

I am divorced and have joint custody of my two sons who are 14 and 16. I currently pay child support based on the courts order to my X. The amount was based on the incomes of both parents and the and the amount of time I physically have them. Over the past year both of my sons have said they want to live with me and my wife full time. I have discussed this with them and wanted to make sure that is what they wanted and their hearts where the right
place. They are ready for the change. We certainly would welcome that.

My question is: In the state of NC how old must a child be for the court to honor their desires. What must I do?
Secondly if I am going this route how do I ask the court to get the Child support stopped I am paying my X, since they Boy's would be with us full time.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for contacting Just Answer.


In North Carolina, as in most states, a child does not get final say on which parent they want to live with, though certainly the older they are, and the better they are able to articulate their wants, and their reasons for wanting to live with one parent versus the other, the more impact it can have. However, their wishes are just that, their wishes, and it is the court that will decide whether to modify custody based on the best interests of the child.


What you need to do is file a motion to modify custody, visitation and child support (since if the children are living with you full-time, you could end up getting child support) with the court. This motion must be served upon the children's mother, who has an opportunity to answer it. In most cases, there will be a hearing on your motion, where the court will look at numerous factors, such as the desires of the children, the emotional, physical and mental well-being of the children, the relationship of the children to each parent, the ability of each parent to properly care for and provide for the children, and the relationship of the parents to one another.


Good luck to you. If you have any additional questions, please press the reply button, and I will be happy to assist you further.

I hope you found my answer helpful. Please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you-no payment for my time and effort is made until you click accept. A BONUS TIP is also appreciated. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated! Remember that the correct answer is not necessarily always the one you may want to read, but it is important that I give you the most legally correct answer for your situation based on the facts you have provided, so please be courteous when deciding whether to accept an answer and when leaving feedback.

DISCLAIMER: This response is limited by the information that you have provided to this lawyer. Based on the information you have provided, I have responded based on my knowledge and interpretation of existing laws. It is possible that if the same question was asked to another lawyer, the response could be different. This response is for "Legal Informational" purposes only and should not be confused with "Legal Advice" and nothing in this response should be construed as legal advice for any individual case. Under no circumstances does this response directly or indirectly, establish or intend to establish an Attorney-Client relationship. This response is not and shall not be construed as a solicitation for the legal services of any attorney. If you have already retained a lawyer in connection with this inquiry and this fact is unknown to this lawyer, this response should not be construed as impending and/or interfering with your attorney-client relationship with such attorney.
This information is limited in scope and is confined to the question asked and should not be relied upon to provide a comprehensive picture of any particular situation and you are strongly encouraged to seek counsel for further course of action, if applicable. In other words, this response is not intended nor shall it be construed as providing you with all the information that your legal questions/issues may require. If you do require legal advice and retention/hiring of an attorney, I encourage you to consult an attorney who is actively engaged in the practice of law in the area of law relevant to your legal questions/issues and who is admitted to the bar or lawyer licensing agency in your jurisdiction(s) or the jurisdiction(s) that has jurisdiction over your legal questions/issues. This attorney is not responsible for any loss, injury, claim, liability, or damage related to your use of this response, whether from errors or omissions in the content of the response or any other sites that I may provide to you for reference.



RobertJDFL and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you