How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 38910
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been going through a legal battle regarding visitation/custody

Resolved Question:

I have been going through a legal battle regarding visitation/custody etc... I retained a lawyer back when the legal battle started for the amount of $3400... We questioned him on a couple occasions of how much money we had remaining.. and he informed us to not worry about it. Recently I fired the lawyer because I felt he was failing to do his job in representing me.. failing to respond to motions that had been filed and leaving loose ends.

He sends me a whooping bill for over $1000 dollars today.... this after I had just paid another retainer fee to another lawyer who is going to try and clean up the mess the first one caused. How can he justify sending me this whooping bill when he didn't even do the job I hired him to do? Can I do anything about this? I feel it is unfair for him to send me a bill when he has been misrepresenting me.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 7 years ago.

The Vermont Bar Association has an Arbitration of Fee Dispute Committee. The Committee has the authority to arbitrate a complaint formally if both parties agree in writing. The result is enforceable in court. If either parties does not agree to arbitration, then the Committee will proceed to determine at least whether the fee charged is reasonable or unreasonable in amount. To file a complaint with the Arbitration of Fee Complaints Committee, contact:


Joseph J. O'Dea P.O. Box 286 Manchester, VT 05254

socrateaser and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Both parties have to agree for arbitration? My former lawyer has to agree? Im a bit confused.
Expert:  socrateaser replied 7 years ago.

If your attorney refuses to participate, then the committee will attempt to ascertain the reasonableness of the fees, using only your testimony/evidence.


If the committee finds against the attorney, he/she could lose his license to practice, because charging unreasonable fees is prohibited by the attorney Rules of Professional Conduct.


For this reason, it is rather likely that the attorney will agree to participate, because failing to defend could be perilous.

Related Family Law Questions