How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RBinJax Your Own Question
RBinJax, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 731
Experience:  I have handled family law cases in Florida for over 20 years.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RBinJax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Legally can you ask the court to terminate past due child support

This answer was rated:

Legally can you ask the court to terminate past due child support , due to substantial changes in circumstances. Example $30,000 in back child support. Due to being incarcerated. Not sure how long the incarceration will be for.

You may ask, but the court may not be sympathetic. You also should ask that they modify the support while you are incarcerated, but being in jail may not qualify as a "substantial change in circumstances" for the purposes of reducing, as such usually requires that the "circumstances" be beyond one's control, such as being laid off, illness or injury, etc.

Remember that the courts view parental support as a right of the child that is personal to the child, and are loathe to take that right away. That is why the better track may be to try to have the support reduced.

While it may seem obvious, I suggest that you consult with a family law attorney in your area who can give you specific advice based upon all of the facts and circumstances of your case. Many attorneys give free consultations, so try to find one who does. If unsuccessful, check with the local bar association to see if it has a lawyer referral service which offers a short consultation (20-30 minutes) with an attorney at a reduced fixed rate ($50-75 or so).

I hope this answers your questions. Please click Accept so that I may be credited for my assistance. Thank you and good luck.

RBinJax and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for the response. We were just trying to figure out if my daughter was going to need an attorney. The person incarcerated is my grandchildrens father, in which they were never married.

She was served papers today that were hand written in a format that looks like court papers, and requring her to appear in court on a specific date. All written by the father of my grandchildren. We will inquire with the local bar association for a lawyer that offers short consultations.

Related Family Law Questions