Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer
Experience:  13 years experience, divorce & custody issues, protective orders, child abuse issues
20355756

My cousin passed away 5 days ago leaving four children. Her

Customer Question

My cousin passed away 5 days ago leaving four children. Her mother and father passed away years back. She only has 2 brothers one 27 the other 6. The father of the youngest has full custody. The middle 2 are from her first husband. The birth certificates to the children are missing and we are sure no father is listed on the oldest. The ex husband said he wanted the last three children only if he got the house. We tried to tell him that the house is in no shape to raise kids. Now he is saying that all three are his and he has proof but wont show anyone and wont let anyone know where the children are. His been hospitalized for mental problems and has been living out of his care for the passed 2 yours. What should we do
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Legalease replied 7 years ago.
I guess I am a bit confused -- how old are the three children that the ex husband has placed at an "aunt's" house?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
one is 9 the other 7 the oldest is 11
Expert:  Legalease replied 7 years ago.
Your best bet right now is that if the ex husband does not have a custody order in place, is to call the Child Protective Services and see if they will help you locate the children. THe telephone numbers and the website are as follows: Child/Vulnerable Adult Abuse Hot Line
1-800-222-8000 (Nationwide) or(NNN) NNN-NNNN>> http://www.mdhs.state.ms.us/fcs_prot.html Tell them that he is one of your sister's ex husbands, he has mental health issues, and he is NOT the father of the children (even if you are uncertain, tell them that, and that will at least get CPS to find the kids and check on their wlefare. If he is not the legal father of these children (or he is unsure) then he has not right to keep them away from you and the rest of Mom's family right now. The entire bit about the "aunt's house" makes me nervous (it should make you nervous also), particularly where this man has a history of mental illness. I really think that you need to act fast here. GOOD LUCK. Please press the GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON so I will be paid for my time. THANK YOU!!