Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Are student loans incurred by one party during a marriage considered

Customer Question
marital debts to be allocated...
Are student loans incurred by one party during a marriage considered marital debts to be allocated in divorce or are they the separate debt of the party who incurred them?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Family Law
10/1/2009
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 8 years ago
The student loans incurred during the marriage are presumed to be marital debts, especially if the education was used to better that party for the marriage (better job etc). It is only if a separate property regime was established before the marriage or before the loans were entered into would they be considered separate debt.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

Use of this service does not create any attorney client relationship. Any information provided is not the practice of law but intended to direct you in finding an attorney in your locale.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer