How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AttorneyTom Your Own Question
AttorneyTom, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 9176
Experience:  Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
AttorneyTom is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in California, have two children (8 and 14), and am

Customer Question

I live in California, have two children (8 and 14), and am considering moving to Canada to be with my boyfriend of 3 years. My situation here is I cannot for the life of me find work, and my bf has been helping support my children and me. My ex-husband has not paid child support in 6 months, lives in a one room guest house, and has also had a very unstable employment history. Visitation now is every other weekend, plus one night a week dinner. He does miss weekends when he has other commitments. I don't want to be underhanded in doing this. My son (14 year old) is on board with moving. I haven't brought it up to my ex yet to see how he'd feel, but I'd like to know my chances of taking the kids for what I honestly feel is a better quality and more stable life in BC.

Thank you very much for your time
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  AttorneyTom replied 8 years ago.

Laws vary drastically by state and country. It is impossible for an attorney to provide legal advice or legal services on JustAnswer. What follows is neither legal advice nor a legal service and may/not apply in your particular state. What follows is general information provided for educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed. T-USA is not your attorney. No attorney-client privilege exists. Anything you write can be used in court if discovered by an opposing party.
The following information is provided for the purpose of encouraging you to seek, in person, the counsel of an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your particular state. It is essential to consult such an attorney as soon as possible.
By reading further, you understand and agree to all that is written above.



Generally, a parent must petition a court for permission to move in such circumstances, as the move will affect court-ordered visitation.

Further, a court may be less likely to agree to a move that is going to place the child in the jurisdiction of not only a different state, but a different country, as the court will then be unable to ensure the non-custodial parent maintains his visitation rights. However, a court's focus is generally on the best interests of the child.

Further still, it is generally not possible to obtain a passport for a child unless both legal parents are willing to sign for the passport. This could present additional problems.

Such matters are not simple matters and involve major changes in life. It is important to retain an attorney who is familiar with family law and emigration to assist with the matter.

If you need additional clarification, please ask a follow-up question and I will be happy to elaborate. Please remember that we cannot provide legal advice/services through JustAnswer.

Please click the green
Accept Button for each and every answer and please remember to leave Positive Feedback. Doing so ensures I will receive credit for my time and my effort spent answering your question. Bonuses are greatly appreciated.

When leaving Feedback, please remember that Feedback is left for me as an answerer, rather than the content of the answer. While I enjoy to providing customers with the answers they want to hear, doing so is not always possible.

You should consult an attorney who is licensed to practice in your state about these matters. You can find an attorney licensed to practice law in your state through your state's lawyer referral services: