How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33167
Experience:  JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son will be 18 in March, he is a senior in high school.

This answer was rated:

My son will be 18 in March, he is a senior in high school. His father thinks that child support will stop on his birthday. He will be going to college, is his father responsible for child support and college expenses until he is 21? We live in IN. Thank you for your response.
[email protected]
Thank you for contacting our JA team for guidance.

If the order of support is in IN, child support stops at the age of 21 or when the child is declared imancipated by a court. In addition,

Ind. Code § 31-16-6-2 provides that a child support order may include sums for the child's education at institutions of higher learning, where appropriate.

Therefore, the father is wrong and child support will continue at least 3 additional years unless your son is declared emancipated.

Please let me know if you need additional information.

Best regards XXXXX XXXXX



Please press the "accept" button so I may be credited and paid for my time when I have answered your question. I am available to answer follow-up questions or to clarify this answer. Positive feedback and a bonus are always appreciated. Thank you very much.

NOTE: Sometimes we receive your question before we receive your additional "optional information". If my response does not appear to consider your optional information, please let me know as I was probably not able to view it when your question was first received.

Tina and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
How much is his father responsible for his college?
It depends on what your order of support says. If it is silent on the subject, then you would need to get your order modified. It would depend on your comparitive incomes and you'd still be subject to the state child support guidelines. Here is a child support calculator that you can use to estimate the amount of support:

All the best to you.