How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33167
Experience:  JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am estranged from my abusive family for 3 years. They continue

This answer was rated:

I am estranged from my abusive family for 3 years. They continue to call and send my children gifts when they were told to stay away from us.
I have not responded to any of this yet it continues and is very upseting to myself and my husband. They have come to my doorstep and left gifts for my children and I even caught them on one occasion waiting in their car a few houses down from mine. I just want them to stay away from us and leave us alone. I have not called the police or involved a lawyer because I have not wanted the situation to escalate, I was hoping it would just end. Also for financial reasons and also because knowing my malicious family would try to sue us for visitation of our children or say we are unfit parents. They will do anything they can to hurt us. What do we do in this situation to keep them away from our house and kids and just move on with out life?
Thank you.
Thank you for contacting our JA team for guidance.

You can obtain a restraining order against them, but it would require evidence of the abuse you refer to. And, the contacts that they are making with your family may, in the end, be nothing compared to what you would face if you take them to court by the way it sounds.

I am very sorry you are in this position, but unless you involve the police or the courts, or both, there is really little to nothing that can be done to stop them from trying to contact you and mail gifts to the children. You may wish to consult with a local family law attorney about sending a cease and desist letter or litigation may follow. I'm not sure this will stop the contacts though based on the persistence they have shown.

Please let me know if you need additional information.

Best regards XXXXX XXXXX



Please press the "accept" button so I may be credited and paid for my time when I have answered your question. I am available to answer follow-up questions or to clarify this answer. Positive feedback and a bonus are always appreciated. Thank you very much.

NOTE: Sometimes we receive your question before we receive your additional "optional information". If my response does not appear to consider your optional information, please let me know as I was probably not able to view it when your question was first received.

Tina and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions