Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My husband has a 5-year-old son from a previous relationship

Customer Question
. Paternity has just...
My husband has a 5-year-old son from a previous relationship . Paternity has just recently been determined. A hearing is set for child support. What are his legal rights in regard to visitation? The child and his mother live approximately 3 hours away from us (in the same state). What would a typical visitation schedule look like in this situation?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Family Law
10/1/2009
Family Lawyer: Law Pro, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
Law Pro, Lawyer

First, realize that although he is order to pay support - that doesn't automatically mean that he will get custody/visitation. The two issues are separate and distinctly different matters. It is considered every parent's duty and obligation to economically support their children.

So, with that being said, depending upon the history of the custody/visitation as between the parent and child (I would presume that there has been a relationship yet) usually a non-primary custodial parent eventually gets every other weekend, some vacation, alternating years as to Spring break, and alternating holidays.

It might take awhile for you to obtain that if there hasn't yet been a relationship as between the two fo them.

Law Pro, Lawyer