How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Pro Your Own Question
Law Pro
Law Pro, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 24870
Experience:  20 years practicing family law from divorce, custody, support, alimony to equitable distribution
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Pro is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How can I end my sisters guardianship over me It is no longer

Customer Question

How can I end my sister's guardianship over me? It is no longer necessary but she wants to remain as my guardian.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Pro replied 8 years ago.
How and/or why did she obtain a guardianship over you?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I had a history of suicide attempts and prescription drug abuse. I had 2 rounds of shock treatments leaving me unable to take care of myself. This guardian does nothing but cause me stress. The only thing she does is dole my medications out to me. I have asked for her help with certain things and she has refused.
Expert:  Law Pro replied 8 years ago.
Do you have a copy of the court order of guardianship?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Expert:  Law Pro replied 8 years ago.

Usually those don't terminate automatically after a predetermined time unless they were granted because the person's age.


As that is not relevant in your situation, I'm sure this guardianship will continue until you petition the court for it's termination.


So, you will have to file a petition for termination of the guardianship before the court (and judge if still sitting) who entered the original order.


Will your sister oppose the petition to terminate the guardianship?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I will find that out this afternoon. Can I consult with you about this later?
Expert:  Law Pro replied 8 years ago.
Yes, absolutely - leave the question open or ask for Law Pro.