How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 20012
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Attorney & Mediator is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband is representing himself for a modification in custody

Customer Question

My husband is representing himself for a modification in custody and 29 custody violations against his ex wife. He is the Petitioner. He has the first approach on Friday and we are trying to decide what is the best way to say his opening statement. This is in New York. Thank you. Niki
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 8 years ago.
Actually in these types of hearing, the judge will be asking questions with regards XXXXX XXXXX modification filing and contempt action. There really won't be an opportunity for opening statements, since the modification hearing is not a trial. But in terms of what to say, he should make sure he has specific dates and times with regards XXXXX XXXXX violation he will be citing. The more specific he can get, the more difficult it gets for the other parent to challenge that such events were fabricated by him.

Modification of custody is based on establishing that there is a change in circumstances which for the child's best interests should be modified. He should try to keep the focus on what is in the child's best interests and how the best interests have been placed in detriment because of mom's conduct and her violations.

So if he has not already done so, he should prepare an outline of the 29 violations, dates and times, what was ordered, how was it violated and how did it affect the child. Then he should outline how his relationship with his child is.

Please click accept, it is greatly appreciated. To request me for future questions, please begin your question with “Attention lawNinvest” Thank you.


Please Note: My answer is limited to your facts presented and additional information you post may not come in after my reply or answer has posted, if this has occurred please let me know and I will answer further. Due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so this may result in more interactions between us. There might also be a delay in my reply or answers, as I may be helping other customers, doing research on your question, called away from my office or have logged off. Please be assured your question(s) will be answered promptly.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research, this is the only way I get paid. If you need more help or clarification, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over. You can always request me through my profile here or beginning your question with “Attention lawNinvest” Thank you.

Legal Disclaimer. The information given by me is not legal advice. You should not and may not rely on anything on this website as legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given. I do not provide general or specific legal advice. . No part of this disclaimer can be copied or reproduced without the express consent of the owner[lawNinvest]. Thank you.

Attorney & Mediator and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
That was exactly the type of answer I was looking for. Thank you!
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 8 years ago.
My pleasure.