How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ANDREA, Your Own Question
ANDREA,, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 12554
Experience:  25 yrs Family Law, Real Estate & Business Law, Criminal Defense, Immigration, Employment Law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
ANDREA, is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Ok... So i am the non custodial parent, I pay child support

Customer Question

Ok... So i am the non custodial parent, I pay child support in the state of va we have joint custody with him having physical custody and me having vistions. But he is not allowed to do anything medical or schooling or anything with out my permission. And due to the father of my daughter losing everything. He is going to move out of state with my daughter to pa. Does my child support cont. or do we have to do it all over again with the state of PA. can you please help and answer my questions thank you
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  ANDREA, replied 7 years ago.

Good Morning,


The Virginia Court presently has jurisdiction of Your child support payments; the father of your daughter, will probably want Virginia to retain jurisdiction as long as you continue to live in Virginia so that if you decide to stop paying, it's easier to have a Virginia Court hold you in contempt (should the father wish to file such a petition), rather than transfer the case to Pennsylvania, file a Petition for Contempt in Pennsylvania and then wait to have it transferred to Virginia to find you.


As the mother of the child, you should file a Petition to Modify Custody and try to get primary physical custody of your daughter because the father's move to Pennsylvania will effectively eliminate your visitation rights with your daughter. Also, it is going to be very difficult for you to exercise your rights to joint legal custody from a distance, so those rights (although not eliminated) would be substantially curtailed. If you wish to do something about custody, I suggest you do it before he relocates to Pennsylvania.


I hope this answers your questions. Pressing the "ACCEPT" button will not close the window and you may ask follow up questions; If you have questions in the future, feel free to ask for me; you may do so, by simply typing my name at the beginning of your question.



Please press the GREEN "ACCEPT" button so that I receive credit for my time and effort in assisting you.


Making a deposit does not constitute an acceptance of my answer; unless you press the ACCEPT button.



Leaving positive Feedback, Bonus, etc., are always appreciated.




Thank you and Good Luck!


ANDREA, JD, LL.M., Taxation

Member, NY & PA Bar


DISCLAIMER: The facts stated herein are information only and are not intended, nor should be construed as legal advice or legal opinion and No Attorney-Client relationship is formed by asking questions and receiving information; laws vary from state to state and to protect your interests, you should seek local counsel