How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AttorneyTom Your Own Question
AttorneyTom, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 9176
Experience:  Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
AttorneyTom is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds


Customer Question

HOW CAN A JUDGE LET AN INTERNATIOMAL PERSON (HOLLAND) KNOWING SHE HAS A WARRENT FOR HER ARREST IN THE U.S. deal with her custody case over th phone. After two years she's claiming D.V. as of December 2008
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  AttorneyTom replied 8 years ago.

Laws vary drastically by state and country. It is impossible for an attorney to provide legal advice or legal services on JustAnswer. What follows is neither legal advice nor a legal service and may/not apply in your particular state. What follows is general information provided for educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed. T-USA is not your attorney. No attorney-client privilege exists. Anything you write can be used in court if discovered by an opposing party.
The following information is provided for the purpose of encouraging you to seek, in person, the counsel of an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your particular state. It is essential to consult such an attorney as soon as possible.
By reading further, you understand and agree to all that is written above.



In some instances, courts will allow a party to appear by telephone. Each jurisdiction has its own requirements and forms for telephone appearances and the individual requesting a telephone appearance must typically petition the court to allow such an appearance. While a court may allow an international person to appear via telephone due to hardship, if the hardship is driven by the person's desire to avoid arrest, it seems less likely that the court is going to approve such a petition. Further, a court may consider a person's outstanding warrants in establishing custody and visitation.

In such an instance, the international person really needs an attorney's representation. Altering custody is a big decision for a court, particularly when it yields a major move for the child (such as to another state - international moves being an even greater issue). However, under some circumstances, such alteration is possible when it's in the best interests of the child. Further, if custody cannot be altered, the court may set a visitation schedule for the international parent.

While I realize that an attorney's representation can yield a great expense, it would be an excellent investment. If money is scarce, there may be low-cost or free legal clinics available for this purpose. The state bar association may also be able to assist in locating those. If there are no such clinics, you may be able to work out a payment plan with your attorney. Alternatively, a client may be able to seek a loan or pay the attorney via credit card.

If you need additional clarification, please ask a follow-up question and I will be happy to elaborate. Please remember that we cannot provide legal advice/services through JustAnswer.

Please click the green
Accept Button for each and every answer and please remember to leave Positive Feedback. Doing so ensures I will receive credit for my time and my effort spent answering your question. Bonuses are greatly appreciated.

When leaving Feedback, please remember that Feedback is left for me as an answerer, rather than the content of the answer. While I enjoy to providing customers with the answers they want to hear, doing so is not always possible.

You should consult an attorney who is licensed to practice in your state about these matters. You can find an attorney licensed to practice law in your state through your state's lawyer referral services: