How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LADY LAWYER Your Own Question
LADY LAWYER, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 6536
Experience:  Family Law Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LADY LAWYER is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If a person pays for property improvements for a married niece

Resolved Question:

If a person pays for property improvements for a married niece in a community property state, is the "gift" to the niece or is it considered to be given to her and her husband?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LADY LAWYER replied 7 years ago.



It would depend on how you intended to give the gift. You can sign something and have it notarized saying that you are making the improvements as a gift to the niece only and that you are purposely excluding her husband from the gift of the improvements. If something like this is not done and the improvements are to the marital home, it will be considered a joint gift.

LADY LAWYER and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you