Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My husband fathered a child 10 years ago and has been paying

Customer Question
child support and health insurance...
My husband fathered a child 10 years ago and has been paying child support and health insurance since. He has no visitation and had tried to terminate his rights but was denied. He now as a wife and two children of his own and health insurance is very expensive. We are self employed (farm) so have to pay for our own health insurance out of pocket. The have just sent us a notice of review and we are wondering what we are responsible and if it is legal to deny to terminate rights.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Family Law
10/1/2009
Family Lawyer: ANDREA,, Lawyer replied 8 years ago
ANDREA,
ANDREA,, Lawyer

Good Evening,

If your husband's income has decreased, or his expenses for your children has increased, it would benefit you to file a Petition to modify the Child Support Amount, explaining in his Petition the "Change in his Circumstances" which is the factors which Jdges use to increase or decrease child support amounts.

No one can stop your husband from signing a "Voluntary Relinquishment of Parental Rights"; however, doing so would not relieve him of the obligation of child support.

I hope this answers your questions. Pressing the "ACCEPT" button will not close the window and you may ask follow up questions; If you have questions in the future, feel free to ask for me; you may do so, by simply typing my name at the beginning of your question.

_______________________________________________________________________________

Please press the GREEN "ACCEPT" button so that I receive credit for my time and effort in assisting you.

Making a deposit does not constitute an acceptance of my answer; unless you press the ACCEPT button.

Leaving positive Feedback, Bonus, etc., are always appreciated.

______________________________________________________________________________

Thank you and Good Luck!

ANDREA, JD, LL.M., Taxation

Member, NY & PA Bar

DISCLAIMER: The facts stated herein are information only and are not intended, nor should be construed as legal advice or legal opinion and No Attorney-Client relationship is formed by asking questions and receiving information; laws vary from state to state and to protect your interests, you should seek local counsel

ANDREA,
ANDREA,, Lawyer
ANDREA,
ANDREA,
ANDREA,, Lawyer