How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jane Doe Deer Your Own Question
Jane Doe Deer
Jane Doe Deer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 3896
Experience:  Attorney since 1986; Plain English explanations of support, visitation, custody, etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Jane Doe Deer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

what parental rights do I have as a father for my child in

Customer Question

what parental rights do I have as a father for my child in the military. I'm not married, but I feel like my child is being with held from me and I need to know what rights I have.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Jane Doe Deer replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for contacting Just Answer. I look forward to assisting you.


While we write back and forth, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Sometimes I'm unable to read your entire question until AFTER I write back to you.


Although it's usually five minutes, sometimes there can be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be researching the answer to your question, helping other customers, or taking a break. If we are writing late at night, I may have to go to sleep and resume helping you the following morning.


I need the following information before I can answer your question:


Are you, the mother, and the child all in NC?


Is the other parent also in the military?


I'll look forward to hearing from you,


Jane Doe Deer


Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am the Father. The mother is in Iraq right now, and our child is in Maryland with her grandmother. Me and the grandmother don't have a great relationship and it seems to me like she's trying to keep me from my child, not by saying it, but through certain action it seems. Me and ex were both in Iraq when we decided to let my mom take care of the baby. she had power of attorney over our child to be able to take her to the doctor to receive shots. she just turn 1yr old in Aug. Now i'm back from Iraq, and my ex is still there, so we agree to let her mom take care of our daugther for a couple of months until my girl come back in Jan. but since me and her mom(grandmother) don't have a great relationship. it's like she is trying to discourage me from coming up there and visit her when i can. I have no pending any action against me(meaning no voilent history). I'm not paying child support(not court order), i'm paying and supporting on my own and i have no negative record or anything. I would like to know what parental rights cilivian and military i have in visiting my child or getting her back from up there in Maryland. Because i think it will have to come down to some legal action in order for me to see her or get her.
Expert:  Jane Doe Deer replied 7 years ago.

When two parents give birth to a child they have equal full rights to the child until a court orders something different.


As the father, you have the right to go get your child and take her home with you.


The only thing that can stop you is a COURT ORDER.


Does that answer your question?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I think so, i will still seek legal advice, but thank you!
Expert:  Jane Doe Deer replied 7 years ago.
Yes, you should.