Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My son has been married for 13 years and has a 12 yr old and

a 2 yr old....
My son has been married for 13 years and has a 12 yr old and a 2 yr old. His wife has a lover and has kicked him out and changed the locks on him. He wants "to get along for the sake of the children" and hopes to win her love back by doing everything she asks. She says that if she has sole custody he can see the kids anytime he wants. She promises! But she also promised she would stop seeing her lover and he caught her going away for the weekend with him while he (my son) was staying at the house with the children. How can his Dad and I get him to see the importance of joint custody? I am afraid she will leave the state with her lover because she has alienated her entire family.
10/1/2009
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer

DearCustomer- Well I have no legal way to tell you how to force him to go for joint custody. What he should at least do is to get court ordered visitation even if she has sole custody. Once he has court ordered visitation she will not be able to move since it would violate his visitation order which would be for every other weekend plus an evening during the week which is the usual court order.

The two of them can agree on any further times they wish but if he has court ordered visitation she can't move across the country with the kids since it would interfere with the visitation order. With no court order he is at her mercy. At least you should be able to convince him to be certain she can't keep the kids from him at own discretion.

There's only so much you can do to help someone who doesn't want to help themselves. Your son is an adult and it is ultimately up to him to make these decisions.

Dave Kennett

Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
I was frantic and found this site on Google. It was an excellent answer and I intend to act on it tomorrow. I am certain that I or another member of my family will have other questions as this progresses. Thank you so very much for giving me a direction to go, as I was just running in circles.

Barb in Utah
No problem and thanks for using our service - Dave
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer