How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dave Kennett Your Own Question
Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27689
Experience:  25 years experience as practicing attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Dave Kennett is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

what can I do if my ex-husband stops paying alimony

Customer Question

what can I do if my ex-husband stops paying alimony?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 8 years ago.
<p>DearCustomer- If he is in violation of the court order to pay alimony you can file a motion for contempt with the court that ordered the alimony to be paid. He cannot simply stop paying unless his obligation is over according to the terms of the divorce decree or he obtains a court order to terminate.</p><p> </p><p>Most courts will also award attorney fees in cases of contempt so you may be able to defray your legal costs.</p><p> </p><p>Dave Kennett</p>
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I currently live in Pennsylvania...would I need to be there in person?
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 8 years ago.
Well at some point you may have to appear at a hearing. You may also be able to get the case moved to PA however if he is in CA there would ulitmately have to be something done there since PA would not have jurisdiction over him. You may want to contact a local attorney to explore all of your options but a motion for contempt will be a necessary action in order to get him to pay.

Dave Kennett and 5 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you!
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 8 years ago.
No problem and thanks for using our service - Dave