How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27586
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a home on Beech Mountain, NC. Presently, I live in Charleston,

This answer was rated:

I have a home on Beech Mountain, NC. Presently, I live in Charleston, SC (2 Years). During my divorce in 1994, the spouse refused to sign a quick claim deed as verbally agreed upon. Since 1194 my wife and I have supported the house responsibly. After several attempts to contact former spouse, she refused to discuss the house and ignored all attempts on my behalf to settle the post divorce issue. Presently , the current amount spent is over $90K. Do I need to find an attorney in NC or can I secure services in SC or what can I do to settle this conundrum? Thank you for your advce. MAJ RG Danio USA (Ret)
Since the dispute deals with real estate in North Carolina, you are going to need an attorney from there. Your attempts over the years to deal with your ex-spouse have been unsuccessful, so legal action, is the next step. If you are unable to agree on what will be done with the home, the court could likely force a sale of it and split the proceeds.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am not interested in selling and splitting the proceeds because she has no interest in it. By legal action do you mean lawsuit? What best of practice attorney would you recommend I secure the services of? MAJ Danio

Yes, I mean a lawsuit to recover money from her based upon the expenses you have paid to date. You want to hire a Real Estate attorney who deals in litigation. If you file a lawsuit and she continues to ignore your requests and fails to answer the complaint, you will get a default judgment against her.

FamilyAnswer and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thank you so much
Good Luck!