How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AttorneyTom Your Own Question
AttorneyTom, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 9176
Experience:  Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
AttorneyTom is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

This question isnt about alienation of affection. I want

This answer was rated:

This question isn't about alienation of affection. I want to ask the legality of a third party ordering a paternity test on my daughter. The DNA lab actually sent her the "legal" results with no proof of her having a legal interest in the matter. And they currently protect the privacy of the third their "client".


By reading further, you agree to and understand the following:
Laws vary drastically by state and country. It is impossible for an attorney to provide legal advice or legal services on JustAnswer. What follows is neither legal advice nor a legal service and may/not apply in your particular state. What follows is general information provided for educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed. T-USA is not your attorney. No attorney-client privilege exists. Anything you write can be used in court if discovered by an opposing party.
The following information is provided for the purpose of encouraging you to seek, in person, the counsel of an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your particular state. It is essential to consult such an attorney as soon as possible.



Only a court can actually order a paternity test.

Further, a third party who is neither purportedly the mother nor the father generally has no interest in such a matter and cannot obtain such an order. Further, a testing facility should not release such information to a third party. Doing so could result in a violation of HIPAA. To report a HIPAA violation, a person can contact the US Office of Civil Rights:
US Office of Civil Rights

HIPAA does not provide for a private cause of action. However, state privacy and consumer protection laws often do. You would be wise to consult, in person, an attorney about this matter. He will help you evaluate whether or not a lawsuit is a prudent alternative, given the details of your circumstances.

More useful information can be found at:

If you do not feel that this answer fully responds to your question, please ask a follow-up question and I will be happy to elaborate. Please remember that we cannot provide legal advice/services through JustAnswer.

Please click the green
Accept Button for each and every answer and please remember to leave Positive Feedback. Doing so ensures I will receive credit for my time and my effort spent answering your question. Bonuses are greatly appreciated.

When leaving Feedback, please remember that Feedback is left for me as an answerer, rather than the content of the answer. While I enjoy to providing customers with the answers they want to hear, doing so is not always possible.

You should consult an attorney who is licensed to practice in your state about these matters. You can find an attorney licensed to practice law in your state through your state's lawyer referral services:

AttorneyTom and 5 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions