How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RobertJDFL Your Own Question
RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 13861
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RobertJDFL is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is it possible, and if so, how can back child support be waived

Resolved Question:

Is it possible, and if so, how can back child support be waived or cancelled. If the paying party has no means of payment?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney, and will be happy to try and assist you further, if you could provide me with some more information first. Also, you should know that due to site limitations, I can't always see all of the information you may have typed, so if I ask a redundant question, I apologize in advance. Can you please tell me:


1) What state is this in?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
State of Florida,
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 8 years ago.

Thanks for the reply (I hate when all the information doesn't come up immediately).


In answer to your question, unfortunately in Florida (as in most every state) unless there is some showing of mistake, clerical error, or something to that effect, the total amount of arrearages cannot be modified. The amount of monthly payment, depending on any substantial change of circumstances, may be modified by either party seeking a change. So, for instance, if you are currently having difficulty making your monthly payment amount, you should file a motion with the court to have the child support reduced so arreages do not continue to add up.


Good luck to you. If you have any additional questions, please press the reply button, and I will be happy to assist you further.


I hope you found my answer helpful. Please click on the GREEN ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you-no payment for my time and effort is made until you click accept. A BONUS TIP is also appreciated. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated! Remember that the correct answer is not necessarily always the one you may want to read, but it is important that I give you the most legally correct answer for your situation based on the facts you have provided, so please be courteous when deciding whether to accept an answer and when leaving feedback.


DISCLAIMER: This response is limited by the information that you have provided to this lawyer. Based on the information you have provided, I have responded based on my knowledge and interpretation of existing laws. It is possible that if the same question was asked to another lawyer, the response could be different. This response is for "Legal Informational" purposes only and should not be confused with "Legal Advice" and nothing in this response should be construed as legal advice for any individual case. Under no circumstances does this response directly or indirectly, establish or intend to establish an Attorney-Client relationship. This response is not and shall not be construed as a solicitation for the legal services of any attorney. If you have already retained a lawyer in connection with this inquiry and this fact is unknown to this lawyer, this response should not be construed as impending and/or interfering with your attorney-client relationship with such attorney.

This information is limited in scope and is confined to the question asked and should not be relied upon to provide a comprehensive picture of any particular situation and you are strongly encouraged to seek counsel for further course of action, if applicable. In other words, this response is not intended nor shall it be construed as providing you with all the information that your legal questions/issues may require. If you do require legal advice and retention/hiring of an attorney, I encourage you to consult an attorney who is actively engaged in the practice of law in the area of law relevant to your legal questions/issues and who is admitted to the bar or lawyer licensing agency in your jurisdiction(s) or the jurisdiction(s) that has jurisdiction over your legal questions/issues. This attorney is not responsible for any loss, injury, claim, liability, or damage related to your use of this response, whether from errors or omissions in the content of the response or any other sites that I may provide to you for reference.

RobertJDFL and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you